The locals are referred to as ‘Jacks’. Swansea Jack was a flat-coated retriever who lived in the City during the 1940’s and was reputed to have saved 27 humans and 2 dogs from drowning. He was awarded the canine Victoria Cross for his efforts and a memorial to Jack stands overlooking the bay.
The Mumbles Passenger Railway was the first in the world and also the one
with the most ‘changes’ in power use in the world. From 1807 to
1960 when the service ceased, the 5 mile stretch of line used horse, sail,
steam, battery, petrol, diesel and electricity. It was known to carry up to
40,000 passengers on bank holidays in the mid 1800’s.
A few interesting dates:-
‘2500BC’ Arthur’s Stone, pre-historic burial chamber.
‘1000’ Sweyne Forkbeard invades!
'1099’ Normans invade Gower: Swansea Castle built
‘1674’ Master of Ceremonies at Bath, Beau Nash, was born in Swansea
‘1717’ The first Copperworks in the Lower Swansea Valley was established. In its industrial heyday 90% of Britain’s copper smelting capacity was located within a 20 mile radius of Swansea.
‘1754’ Swansea resident Thomas Bowdler, author, gave his name to ‘bowdlerisation’ ie. To amend or alter. Published his ‘bowdlerised’ Family Shakespeare in 1818.
‘1774’ Morris Castle was built, probably one of the first tenement-style blocks to have been built in Britain since Roman times.
‘1786’ The Gloucester Journal of 14th August called Swansea “the Brighton of Wales”
|Next page l Top of Page|