Located near the village of Crynant in the Dulais Valley five miles north of Neath, Cefn Coed Colliery Museum tells the story of coal mining at Cefn Coed pit, once the deepest anthracite coal mine in the world. Cefn Coed was one of the most dangerous coal mines in Wales, gaining the nickname ‘The Slaughterhouse’.
Telephone:+44 (0)1639 750 556
Miners Museum and gift shop in Neath Port Talbot, South Wales.
The story of the thousands of men who worked at Cefn Coed and at other pits in the anthracite coal mines of South West Wales is told through words, pictures and artefacts throughout the museum.
The museum is home to a preserved 1927 Worsley Mesnes Horizontal Duplex Cylinder Steam Winding engine, arguably the jewel in the museum’s crown. Once powered by steam when the site was a working colliery this magnificent winder is now turned over by electricity, however its majesty never fails to impress enthusiasts the world over.
Cefn Coed museum is also host to the Neath Historical Model Railway Club. The club’s dedication and commitment is evident from the constantly evolving layout celebrating the age of steam in the Dulais Valley.
Opening Times - 10.30am – 5.00pm (last admission to the museum 4.30pm). Closed Wednesdays.
Group visits are welcome in the winter period prior to arrangement.
Admission is free
For further details please ring (01639) 750556 or email: [email protected]
Getting here:- Bus X58/158 runs hourly from Swansea and Neath daily
At Junction 43, Exit M4 east bound. Take the A465 signposted Aberdulais / Resolven / Brecon. Come off on slip road signposted (A4109) Aberdulais Falls, Cefn Coed Colliery Museum. The museum is approximately 3 miles along the Neath Road.